The Adventures of Chubby Chocolate

CONFESSIONS & RAMBLINGS OF A CHUBBY BLACK GIRL ON THE VERGE OF 30.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

GIT MA HAND OUT MA POCKET!

I for the life of me can't get right when it comes to money management!

I'm the prime example of living paycheck to paycheck and I make enough not to.
During college I wrote so many bounced checks, that one company threatened to send an officer to my job and arrest me. I was so scared, I called in sick the next day. Then when I learned it was but one example of the many trickeries bill collectors do to scare you into paying them, I kept on writing checks. I've just finished paying off all my debt (except for school loans of course) earlier this year. I have no credit cards, so I've had to get skilled in the art of money finagling.

Over the years I've had many lessons learned in this battle between banking systems and my check card. I'm so deep in the trenches now that I have mastered the art of finagling most retail and grocery stores, especially when payday is peeping from behind the corner with it's tongue sticking out, teasing the shit out of me. I take their products and they get their money later...

It takes about two days before a check hits my account. I will write a check for a pair of shoes, with NO money in the bank.

I will order $14 worth of chinese food for delivery, with $4 in my account because their system can't identify exactly how much I have in my account. They take it three days later.

I know all the local restaurants that accepts checks.

I will pay the water & PG&E bill, check by phone because it takes a week before it posts.

I pay the gardner in two installments so I can buy clothes.

Gap and Banana Republic caught on and they do e-checks now...I stay away when I'm broke.

If my account becomes overdrawn, I call customer service and give them so much hell that they reverse the charges.

All my bills are paid over the phone or electronically because I don't trust myself to actually write a check and send it in the mail. It takes too long! I'll use the money for clothes before it reaches the payment center.

I make a budget for each paycheck. Good right? Nope. The purpose of the budget is to see how much money I'll have left over to shop with and what bills can wait until the next pay period. When payday arrives, my check card sends this high pitched, piercing signal to my brain that only turns off after I buy something that I know I shouldn't. I hear it when I'm broke too.

I'm now waiting for 7pm to arrive, so I can order these shoes in tan. It won't hit my account until midnight, which is the exact same time direct deposit takes posts. This confuses the system, so it accepts deposits first then the withdrawl.

Please don't ask how I figured this out. It was late and I couldn't sleep....

Maybe it's time to seek help.

12 Comments:

  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Knockout Zed said…

    From my last gig to this one I got approximately a $20,000 a year raise. Last month I had NSF charges of over $300 on my checking account. What's wrong with this picture. I suck at managing money, too.

    KZ

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Fresh said…

    it's a vicious cycle. budgeting takes self-discipline like everything else in life. it sucks being a grown up sometimes.

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger Chubby Chocolate said…

    @ Zed= Ha! I got you beat! As I type, I'm overdrawn by $302.13! No lie! Although, I didn't get a $20k raise... :-(

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Blogger cassy said…

    Chubby, I've got you beat. I'm overdrawn by $400 and some b/c I thought I wrote the check to daycare late enough that it wouldn't hit the account until the paycheck today does. Sheesh, I suck at this.

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger PAINKEY said…

    you are not alone in the on going battle of money management. your lucky bc its only u to shop for, I got two kids plus me and him. Its hard when you see the cutes outfits and shoes for them. How can u say no to makin your kids look cute? Anyhow, seems like you have the system all figured out, you go girl, thats some smart thinking.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Blah Blah Blah said…

    i suck at money management too. so happens, my bank is still in Cal; my debit card was freakin' deactivated (they thought they sent me a new one) so right now, this minute....I HAVE MONEY...just have no freakin' way of accessing it...:-( waiting onmy card to come...i know i know...should open a damn bank account here........just didn't think i'd be here this dang long!!! lol

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger SP said…

    Nice blog. Cute shoes. Totally worth it. It's so good that you don't have credit cards. I've stopped spending to try to pay mine off.

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger brooklyn babe said…

    Well CC, you making a chick look really good right about now, but 0nly by a hair.... we need a group. Zed could start it off..
    ZED: "Hi My Name is Zed, and I suck NSF ass..."
    GROUP (Us)" Hi Zed."

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger Natalia said…

    There are great credit counseling services. One of my exes in NYC went through one and he is doing so well now that he can even look at buying his own place.

    -N

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger Soul Searching said…

    Too familiar! I keep trying to talk myself out of shopping, but I'm ridiculous about it.

     
  • At 4:43 PM, Blogger sammie said…

    Well it's nice to know I'm not the only woman capable of shopping beyond my means. I had to open new accounts becuase I was moving out of state...and I have been saving to do so...so for the moment I'm a few thousand in the + which is hardly EVER the case.
    We'll see how that goes. Cute shoes come before anything for me, which might explain why I had to pack over 80 pr!!!!
    Cute shoes though Chubby =)

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow

    just, wow.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape I'LL SUE YO AISSS!