The Adventures of Chubby Chocolate

CONFESSIONS & RAMBLINGS OF A CHUBBY BLACK GIRL ON THE VERGE OF 30.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

HOLY ROLLER HEIFERS

I was in the city (San Francisco) for a meeting last week and decided to stop by my old office. Three members of the old crew were still there. We ordered Extreme Pizza and caught up. I've always enjoyed talking with them because we're all very passionate about our work and there's no competitiveness. Everything was going well until one of them popped the question:

"So, when are you going to go to church with us?" Shit.

I'm not much of a religious person. I've gone to church service twice in my life. Once with my grandmother while in Jr. High School and again with my "friend" in High School. During the latter visit, I remember feeling a warm, sensation from the gospel music. I wanted to jump from the bench and move. I buried the feeling though and had later been told, I was fighting the holy ghost. I don't know what it was, but I never went back. The church goers, I've crossed paths with are extremists. They find a way to incorporate God in EVERY conversation and hint to me that I'm going to hell because I don't go to church. It's cult like and it's sickening. I believe that there's something bigger than the universe and all that, but I don't believe I have to convene with a group of people I could care less knowing, pay money and waste precious Sunday sleep-in time to prove it.

During my junior year in High School, I was going to a Sade concert with a group of classmates and we had to pick up the preachers daughter. We piled into the house and he drilled us with questions before he allowed her to leave the house with us.

"Do you live with both parents?"
"Yes."
"Do you go to church?"
"No."
"It's a shame we all can't go to heaven."
"Thank you."

I've always been the victim of Holy Roller Heifers. They're the ones who believe if you don't go to church every Sunday or have a religious bumper sticker on your car, then you're going to hell. It's either you go to church or you're the devil's playground. I've had people cut me off completely because I refused their invites to church. You can't make me go by trying to pressure me. That's the one sure thing that will make me take off my public mask and read yo aisss.

So it wasn't a surprise when my visit with my old co-workers took a sour turn after I told them I wouldn't be going to church with them. They ignored my response and asked me again.

"So when are you going to go? Next Sunday? Just let us know. We can pick you up if you want..."

The courtesy smile disappeared from my face and I rolled my eyes. "It was nice seeing you guys. I think I've worn out my welcome. Take care." I grabbed two more slices of pizza wrapped them in paper towel and headed for the front door.

While in my car, I got a call from one of them.
"I hope you didn't feel pressured. It's cool if you don't want to go this week. How about next Sunday?"

WHAT THE FUCK?

13 Comments:

  • At 6:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What up Chubb,

    as you may or may not know, I.M. PK. Preacher's Kid. And I feel you, that kin d of behavior is straight assinine. I went through it during college when I was outta church. The church experience is not to be pushed on you. You go because you want it No more no less.

    That said let me hip you nto "WTF" is going on. Your friends are reading something that you are giving off. I bet they believe that you are looking for something- and they think that that thing can be found in church. The may be right. But they are wrong to pressure you.

    Thing is, YOU KNOW. You know what you're fighting. You know what is deep inside that you don't want to acknowledge and when you're ready to stop running from it you will.

    Me too.

    Anyway, screw their high pressure sales tactics. Jesus never rolled like that, he took those that followed he didn't push them.

    I wish you the best. Meanwhile, holla at me sometime (I promise I won't get all PK on you)

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Knockout Zed said…

    CC,
    You know I'm with ya right? 1,000% and shit or however the cliche goes. I get the same thing from women that I'm trying to date. Stay resolute. I always ask a couple of questions "Would you be a Christian if you were born in a Muslim country?" 'Cuz if not, you my good friend have succumbed to peer pressure with your soul, idiot. The other question is "Do you think it's a good thing that we were taken from Africa so that we could be made Christians?" If they say yes, then of course I have absolutely no respect for them and the pressure dissipates.

    Just my two cents,
    KZ

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger Knockout Zed said…

    I forgot to write this: "Would you be a Christian if you were born in a Muslim country?" is actually a trap question. If they say yes, then I know they're delusional. I doubt that they studied the world's religions before settling upon Christianity. They did what dey mama say do.

    KZ

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Fresh said…

    Girl, in my opinion religious is so personal and the way people choose to worship is there own business. Although I may be peace and deliverance from fellowshipping with others I can be as deeply moved at home listening to Yolanda Adams on my CD player. I wouldn't call myself religious but I am spiritual and my beliefs are MY beliefs. So when someone invites me to their church if the spirit moves me, I might actually go but if it doesn't I won't. There is a girl who used to literally harrass me to go to her church. To this day if I see that girl I will avoid her like the plague. I was actually planning to check her church out at first but when she kept harrassing me about it I decided to not go...ever!

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Fresh said…

    Spell check is a beautiful thang isn't it? LOL! I need to start trying to utilize it more often when I comment on others blogs. What I forgot to say though was that I am looking for a place that makes seafood pizzas. You made me think of it when you mentioned Extreme Pizza because my coworkers and I used to go to the Unos on Fisherman's Wharf (we worked around there) for their yummy seafood pizza that they don't make anymore. OMG...it was incredible! Cheese, garlic, shrimp and crab. Simply divine!

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger Butterfly Jones said…

    What do you do when the people pushing it on you are your family? When I'm on the phone pouring out my heart to my mum, her answer is, "you need to develop a relationship with God". Meanwhile I'm thinking, how about we try and develop a relationship where I talk, you listen, and then maybe offer me some useful advice!!!
    She and my sister get upset with me when I say no I'm not coming to church, till I just had to say straight up, I don't want to go. It's not for me. I only go because you want me to, not because I want to. And if you don't want to hear no, don't keep asking me.
    Thing is, all this church-going they do don't seem to make them peaceful, they still raising h*ll up in my life whenever they can!

     
  • At 6:49 PM, Blogger brooklyn babe said…

    Sex and Religion are two preferences folk should keep to themselves, as its their personal choice.

    I don't check box, but I do have a strong spiritual base, within myself. Don't need a church for that. Got a "God" within me.
    But I wont date someone who has no type of (spiritual) direction. Lost souls are always agitated.


    I just go for the grape juice. Lol
    Peace

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Blogger sammie said…

    My dad was a preachers kids. Foursquare Gospel or something.
    All I know is as a kid, my father had NO DESIRE to be in church OR to drag us. He spent his entire youth at church, in church, misistering...
    My grandparents..though lovely people we a bit radical. I mean, they wouldn't allow my dad to take a hispanic woman to his prom. And they were TOTALLY against dancing.
    DANCING? The work of the devil?

    Luckily they came into the 21st century at some point, which is good being as I MARRIED A MEXICAN..haha
    I love to shake my ass as much as the next girl..so dancing WAS in my future.
    I can honestly say that I have never really been a church goer. At all. Never having really gone as a kid(other than with my grandparents and occasionally to the Episcopalian church with my mom)I haven't been inclined to go much as an adult. Sometimes when my kids were smaller, here and there...mostly because I thought I "should"
    I don't believe that if u don't go to church, you will go to Hell, cuz if THAT was the case...there betta be ALOT of room down there becuase most people I know don't go anywhere NEAR a church.
    At the moment I work with a Jehoviah's Witness...and she is one of the greatest women I have ever met. She has her beliefs, but she doesn't PUSH them on me. To each their own is what I believe..
    I won't question your beliefs, as long as you won't push them on ME.

     
  • At 12:19 PM, Blogger cassy said…

    I could so write a book about this whole thing...but I'll spare you here.

    Suffice it to say that I agree with almost everything said here. They need to get the fuck outta your business!

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger Disco said…

    I. hate.Holy.rollers.

    period.

    I sooooooo feel you and though I have been to more services (my grandma was a Jehovah's Witness....a WHOLE other post in itself) I do not go currently. I beleive that I have faith in a higher power and that going to church is NOT the only way to honor Him.

    Do you live with both parents?"
    "Yes."
    "Do you go to church?"
    "No."
    "It's a shame we all can't go to heaven."
    "Thank you."


    I woulda died! I too have been in situations similar to that and just wanted to walk out.

    But you know the question that I get asked waaaaay more frequently? "So...what church do you attend?" That question is about as personal (in my opinion) as do you swallow? would be!!! (at least coming from a stranger---hee hee) It makes me cringe EVERY time I get asked that.

    So, I feel ya!

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Knockout Zed said…

    People ask me shit like that all the time in this new city. "What church do you attend?" "Have you found a church home yet?" WTF? When is that proper discussion with a nigga you don't know, a nigga that hasn't brought it up or asked you about it? The tyranny of the bullshit peddlers should be coming to an end.

    Fuck Bush,
    KZ

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Rell said…

    interesting...

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Chubby Chocolate said…

    @e_1979=HERE! HERE!

    @Zed=PAAHHH-REEEECH IT Bruva! :-)

    @Berry= I'm with you. I'm spiritual,not religious....

    @Mad Black Woman=WELCOME BACK!

    @Buttefly Jones=It's even worse when it comes from relatives!! If it gets to that, I think I'll disown myself from them!

    @Brooklyn Babe=That's why the blog is titled, The Adventures of Chubby Chocolate!

    @Cassy=I thought about your post about religion after this incident happened!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape I'LL SUE YO AISSS!