The Adventures of Chubby Chocolate

CONFESSIONS & RAMBLINGS OF A CHUBBY BLACK GIRL ON THE VERGE OF 30.

Monday, May 01, 2006

SI SE PUEDE!!

I shut down the office today to support the immigration protests. I received so many e-praises and thank you's from fellow immigrant colleagues...Truth is, I just wanted a long weekend.

Last night I went out with the girls to this spoken word event. I didn't want to go, but I figure I'd burn more calories being away from my couch (working on melting off the winter coat). I absolutely DESPISE this type of gathering: A bunch of people who think they're above the norm because they have locks, wear dyshiki-like colors and can snap their fingers.

The performers are just that....Performing. They aren't artists! They are pompous shits.
First one on the stage, was talking so fast and screaming that I couldn't hear a word she was saying-And I was in the front row. The audience began clapping. What the fuck reason is there to clap about? Because she's talking fast?!

"SOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLD!!" I couldn't resist. My friend nudged me, but couldn't stop laughing.

The next three acts gave three different renditions of their love for hip-hop. They were under the age of 25, talking about Biggie and Tupac. My friends and I continued voicing our disgust for the performers. Other tables caught on and soon we became the act.

Next was a short fuck bragging about how good he is at cunnalingus. He named his poem, cunning cunnalingus. How creative. "Of course you're good at it. Your whole head could fit in my hew-hew. Oops, did I just say that out loud?" My liquored up friend indeed said it out loud. In fact, she was so loud that other tables were now applauding her.

Next was a woman in ultra low rise, camel toe tight jeans, a short tight t-shirt with no bra, sharing with us her experience of constantly getting recruited to be a video hoe.

"BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!" I paid $20 for this shit?! That's 20 new songs I could have downloaded on Gus. Part of that outburst was also dedicated to the fact that I could never wear a short tight t-shirt...without a bra. Well, I could, but I'd look like a female version of Baby Huey.

One of the promoters came to our table and asked if we could please lower our voices and give the artists a chance to voice their thoughts without judgement.

We got thrown out ten minutes later with partial refund.

18 Comments:

  • At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LMAO!!!

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Funny!

     
  • At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL @ you getting thrown out. It sounds like you got about $20 worth of entertainment though. Your descriptions of the "artists" was hilarious.

     
  • At 6:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    baaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa you got thrown out tooo funny....I am a spoken word artist though...not the locked up bohemian type that talks about weird stuff...nah not my thing and I kinda look at those folks like "Huh" because alot of their stuff doesn't make sense. And they look at me like "Who is this Chanel wearing, weaved up chic with the extensive vocabulary telling a story" LOL

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger Mrs A. said…

    LOL..."whole head could fit in my hew-hew" ROFLMBAO!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger LadyLee said…

    Alright Chubby, don't get yourself locked up, now!!

    Funny as always!!

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger nikki said…

    BWAAAAAHAAAAAA!

    Next was a short fuck bragging about how good he is at cunnalingus. He named his poem, cunning cunnalingus. How creative. "Of course you're good at it. Your whole head could fit in my hew-hew. Oops, did I just say that out loud?

    okay, that shit made me cry with joy. in fact, i'm gonna be giggling about that one for at least the next week.

    damn, you two were in classic heckler mode. i can understand though, cuz i hate alot of the spoken word joints here in the atl, too. all that fake shit and for what? for a record deal or fame, but never for the craft and creative expression and sharing. i'm tired of the shit really.

    aiight, now i'm back to snickering...she called it a 'hew-hew'? LMAO

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger Abeni said…

    lol,this was so funny.Loved the commentary about the artists

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger Butterfly Jones said…

    PWAH HA HA HA HAAAAA! Although I do love that film Love Jones, I do not love everybody's attempt to copy it since then. I hate that spoken word shit and I would have been right there with you yawning at those failed rappers!

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger So...Wise...Sista said…

    Sounds to me like you spent the evening in Brooklyn. lol

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger The Sarccastik Variable Why said…

    her poem was getting recruited to be a video girl....as spoken words lost it's passion, it's luster...i would have to see her first before i booed her...

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger Knockout Zed said…

    I have a well documented hate of the "art" of spoken word. Welcome to the fold!

    KZ

     
  • At 6:42 AM, Blogger Blah Blah Blah said…

    ...I am real mad at you for the "baby huey" description....lol

    Spoken word artist: Angry, horny, loud, and rarely talented people who like to hear themselves....blah blah blah!
    Oh, second thought...that sounds like me! lol

     
  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger inciquay said…

    OMG I'm LMBAO because I've been to so many of those Love Jones wannabe spoken word joints and obviously it doesn't matter where in the world they are they're always the same. Isn't there always at least one dude who thiks he's mackin' by reciting a poem he thinks is sexy? Who told dudes that the word cunnilingus is sexy?

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger EqualOpportunityCrush said…

    hahahahaha.. yo.. i'm trying to not choke on my tea.. i'm mad that you got thrown out.. lol

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger TRUTHZ said…

    remind me never to invite you to my spoken word if i ever get up the nerves to verbally share my inner most thoughts...cuz you know they wrote love jones abt me

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger The Diva V said…

    i am on the floor..i love your blog my new spot to read on the net

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger The Diva V said…

    i am on the floor..i love your blog my new spot to read on the net

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape I'LL SUE YO AISSS!