The Adventures of Chubby Chocolate

CONFESSIONS & RAMBLINGS OF A CHUBBY BLACK GIRL ON THE VERGE OF 30.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

CHUBBY CHOCOLATE W/ FISH?

This turning 30 thing has placed me in the most annoying situations these days. I haven't been 30 for a month yet and I'm being treated like some old spinster. It truly disgusts me, but Monday took the cake.

On May Day, my mother and I paid a visit to one of her old friends who's recovering from open heart surgery. The last time I saw Carol, I was in middle school. I didn't want to go, but I promised my mother I'd spend more time with her. We get there and she opens the door. We're greeted by her three barking, salt and pepper poodles an oxygen tank and walker. She's only 58 years old (cigarette smoke kills, people!).

"Look at Chubby!" She manages to give me a kiss through her oxygen mask. My jaw dropped when the smell of cigarette smoke invaded my nose. This wench STILL SMOKES!!!! "Just look at you! I didn't think you'd turn out to be so pretty!" Was that a compliment? "You've got to meet my daughter. You two would get along really well."

I give her a courtesy smile and laugh and I plop myself on her couch. I felt like a 10 year old, waiting for my mother to get the visit over with. They gossip about who retired, who moved back to Jamaica, who died before they could enjoy their time back home......I play with the dogs to kill time. Then her front door opens.

She's looks to be in her mid 30s, dark skin with a short fro. Her thick,black glasses are too small for her face. She's wearing the quintessential Oakland Butch uniform: Tattered baggy jeans, loose t-shirt sloppy-tucked with saggy boobs and a large opened button down shirt with open-toe sandals.

"Hey, Chubby this is my daughter I was talking about earlier. The one I want to hook you up with. You two have ahhhhhh lot in common."
She dragged the "a lot" which translated into, " You two are both lesbians."

WHAT THE FUCK?!

"Hook up how?" I ask with a confused, irritated tone.

"Oh, you know you two can talk and maybe spend some time together. Nobody wants to be alone ...." I zoned out after that. I couldn't believe it! Then my mother cuts her off.

"Chubby likes men, Carol. But her career is dedicated to helping people who have same sex partners." My mother's way of trying to clear things up without being a bitch about it.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Chubby! When your mother told me you weren't married yet, I just assumed you were like my daughter. I'm so sorry." We all nervously laughed it off and her daughter and I made small talk. She apologized about her mothers assumption and told me it was the third time this year she's been playing match maker. We then swapped match-making horror stories and joked it off.

This annoying societal, expectation of a single 30 year old female knows no sexual preference.

20 Comments:

  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger Abeni said…

    Well am tired of being asked why at 26 am childless.These days I dont even answer.

     
  • At 5:18 AM, Blogger Knockout Zed said…

    That's a pretty bad assumption. Why the fuck can't you just be particular about who you select as a fuckin' mate?

    In the meantime...
    *spraying Binaca in my mouth*
    how you doin'?

    KZ

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger Blah Blah Blah said…

    Da hell...this is the 3rd post this week regarding women/women associations....lol

    OK...I'm 36...I'm not married and I wish a African would say something about me being single and 36!!!


    You should've told Carol you were too busy fucking and enjoying being single to settle down right now...bet there'd really been some nervous laughs....lol

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger PAINKEY said…

    I know it wasnt funny then, but you sure have me crackin up now.

    Gosh, I dont know what is peoples problems with single people, thats the smart thing, stay single...wish I wasnt such a dummy ;)

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger brooklyn babe said…

    That aint got nothing to do with 30, that's just pure ignorance...

    And ignorance loves company.
    Bump them fools!

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger The Brown Blogger said…

    I have a similar story, but without the hookup from my mom's friend.

    Imagine being 35, never married and no kids!

     
  • At 7:09 AM, Blogger Butterfly Jones said…

    Too facety! My mum's friends sometimes blindside me with comments about the size of my bum, I always reply: "Ah so de man dem like it." Being single at 30 is no big ting in the UK, IVF is all the rage and women are having their first baby at 40. Standard.

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger The_Practitioner said…

    Chub, I'm gonna be joining you in this one. Despite the fact that I'm the ultimate heterosexual I've had some females explain to me that my current external circumstances could allude to an alternative lifestyle.

    I'm 35, unmarried, no girl friend, no kids, live alone, keep up my appearance and can be quite domesticated.

    Omigosh, I am gay! (lol)

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger LadyLee said…

    Yo, CC, don't let people have you looking crazy... There are a gang of married folks out here who have gotten married because of society's expectations, etc... Only to wake up to a person that they can't STAND...

    I should know, I am one of them... I am 36, and divorced... people have an issha with me not being hooked up, too... Oh well, they will get over it.

    Good post, Chubbs...

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger So...Wise...Sista said…

    Well damn.
    But how on earth did you manage a, um, straight...face when the mother tried to hook up the daughter...who's coming in looking like Kris Kross. A West Indian mother at that! Lawd God. Classic.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Haley said…

    I have to say..some of the most bizarre things happen to you.

    Haley

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my! You're single and over the age of 25 so you must be a lesbian. I get the same thing at 26..."where's your man, how come you don't have kids, you're not a lesbian are you...find any old man and settle down" The hell! I get this from the very same women who said..."You have all the time in the world, have kids later, a man will come." Next time, tell them you are not "single"...you are "whole" and sit back and watch the confusion.

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL - I probably shouldn't find this so funny but I can't help it. I didn't realize that single and 30 = homosexual.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger Soul Searching said…

    OMG that is hilarious! I'm sure it wasn't at the moment, but you tell the best stories. I can't believe you held your tongue!!

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger Ms.Behavin said…

    HA! That's funny!! Since when do being both 30 qand single render you a lesbian?? I just turned 30 this year and although I'm still single, I've not been faced with that accusation, yet.
    I'm glad you didn't let the lady have it!!

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger NameLiar said…

    Okay first of all what the hell was "I didn't think you'd turn out to be so pretty!" I was stuck at that part for a long time. I think I would have treated that broad. Something like...you don't look so bad for 88..I mean 58. I bet you don't even need that oxygen, let's cut off your supply and see what happens.lol

    You're a good one Chubby.

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL... that means they'll consider me as lesbian, too?
    oh man... i still love men :D

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Blogger EqualOpportunityCrush said…

    lol.. i totally understand where you're coming from... but you cannot help but see the irony of the situation.. a west indian mother (and you know west indians are notoriously homophobic) trying to hook you up with her butchy ass daughter.. i would have been annoyed, but I would have laughed too

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger nikki said…

    okay, i gotta laugh first, cuz that was friggin funny as hell.

    BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

    aiight, i'm done. it totally sucks that folk make assumptions about women who are older and have yet to marry. then again, i gotta admit if i see an older guy, like in his 40s, and he has never married, i usually think he's gay (unless he's got playa mack written all over him in the form of his fake versace shirt and gator shoes)...

    i forgot the same thing applies to us women. i've gotta work on my short-sightedness.

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger PAINKEY said…

    hey, where are u gurl, hope everything is alright.

    come back to us cc...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape I'LL SUE YO AISSS!