The Adventures of Chubby Chocolate

CONFESSIONS & RAMBLINGS OF A CHUBBY BLACK GIRL ON THE VERGE OF 30.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

ATLANTA BOUND

It's too early Sunday morning and in about four hours I'll be catching a cab to the airport, heading to the ATL.

I'm sure I've mentioned the CDC fellowship I'm starting. For one week, every other month, they will assist me with creating an effective intervention for Women of Color in HIV/AIDS prevention. Yeah, I know it sounds like some serious shit, which is why I'm having anxiety overload, insomnia, mud butt and there's a looming dark gray cloud of failure hovering over me.

I'm feeling as if I'm taking on too much and I need to cut something loose. This is a big commitment and working one more than full-time job and one part-time job, volunteering, cleaning the house, cooking, spending time with parents, friends, and breathing...It's becoming too much. My plate is spilling over. One of the downfalls of being an over-achiever. When I take on something new, I magnify the negative possibilities...Inevitable Milestones, my aisssss. What if I get there and can't even survive the week? What if I fall out from anxiety in front of the Scholars? What if the plane crashes?

Alright Chubby. Focus on the positive. I'll be in a nice hotel for one week. I can take extra long showers. I'll get a new laptop.I'll be in a new environment. Possible prospects to increase my currently scant stable. I'll meet new people in my field. I can go shopping in a new mall. It's the week before payday, but I managed to save $100 for this week, then I checked the mail today and found a check for $100 from a bill I accidentially overpaid last summer.

I'm still in the process of packing my bags. I took a break to watch the Zab Judah fight. I won't give it away for avid boxing fans. Now I'm composing a checklist to try make sure I don't forget anything in the midst of my breakdown

# Pack my bags....CHECK
# Clean the cat box....CHECK
# Sip a little bit of Jamaican rum creme to cool my nerves....CHECK
# Clean the house....CHECK
# Post notes all over the house, reminding my brother to feed Pooter....CHECK
# Buy new contacts....CHECK
# Wash clothes....CHECK
# Jack off to cut some of the edge....CHECK
# Change the greeting on my office phone....CHECK
# Calm the fuck down....

Relax. Relate. Release.

17 Comments:

  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Pamalicious said…

    I'm so excited the CDC is right across the street from where I work1 I'll wave!

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Fresh said…

    safe travels.

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger nikki said…

    have a safe trip! meanwhile, LOOK ME UP WHEN YOU GET HERE!

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger Lena said…

    Congrats on the fellowship! It seems like a lot of work but you seem passionate about it so I'm sure you will do great. Good luck with everything!

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Ore said…

    Congratulations on the fellowship!!! I'm sure those fellowships are extremely hard to get, so you must be more than qualified for it. Calm down and remember to HAVE FUN.

     
  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger Favored said…

    Congratulations, Chubby! New things are hard, change is hard, but you seem very passionate about your work, so take another swig of that rum and cool out... I'm sure you'll be fine. And by the way.... WELCOME TO THE "A"!!!!!

     
  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger ChezNiki said…

    Have a safe trip! You will do just fine.

     
  • At 6:56 AM, Blogger The_Practitioner said…

    At least you got to rip one off before your flight. ;o)

    Have some fun in Hot-lanta for me.

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger SP said…

    Girl, calm down! It'll all be good once you get there. Fellowships are hard to get and you are working toward a very noble cause. You'll do great!

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Blogger LadyLee said…

    Calm down... I think you will do well. Focus on those positives, and not the negatives...

    You be safe and have a good time in my hometown!

     
  • At 7:34 AM, Blogger Hasan Mubarak said…

    The purpose of your travel is great and its gonna be perfectly fine. Best of Luck!

     
  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger Blah Blah Blah said…

    Congrats to Chubs!! Everything will be all fine and dandy...calm the fuck down!

    And make sure you get some ass in ATL...big chocolate corn-fed mofo to visit....and I'd say see if he has a brother for me...but *looking around for Vernon* I might get a throat chop...LOL

    Have fun.

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger PAINKEY said…

    Hey girl, have a safe trip.
    The good thing is that you are an over achiever. This means that you will achieve and do great. You have all the experience with this to do very well. This is all you doll....go and kick ass and take names....names of some good lookin men ;)

     
  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger Knockout Zed said…

    I heard that Atlanta was due for some overcast skies, partly sunny with a 100% chance of humongous breasts.

    KZ

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger Chubby Chocolate said…

    Hey Y'all!

    I'm borrowing a colleagues laptop.

    I'm not even staying in the downtown area! They got us shacked up in a Marriott that's right off the freeway...With no other venues in sight. It's sheer torture!

    They don't even give us free time to ourselves. The sessions occur in the hotel, not at the CDC office (like I visioned). They even have us in night sessions AND they give us projects to complete and present the VERY NEXT DAY.

    I guess that's the consequence when they pay for everything. They haven't even given us our laptops yet
    :-(

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger twin said…

    The ATL, why did you not tell me I would have meet you there that way you can check SEX off your list. :)

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger TRUTHZ said…

    i will be in atl this weekend ...small world. going to see about my friend that i blogged about...
    the work you do always humbles me and scares me into now having casual sex....and now i don't know about my crush...i am getting really scared...silly, i know but it is what it is

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape I'LL SUE YO AISSS!